Sunday, May 20, 2012

Kitchen War... No cracker for Polly

While it might not seem like Robyn and I got much done this weekend, we were busy the entire time, more so outside than inside.

We got started off at Menard's where we picked up a corner cabinet for the kitchen.


Later in the weekend, I brought the dishwasher in from the garage where it had been for the last 12 months sitting on a pallet.


Saturday morning, we were out with the rototiller extending the garden by another 20 or 25 feet.  I took a bit of a different approach this time, rather than digging down to the depth I wanted on the first pass, I just dug deep enough to loosen the top layer of sod.


Next I made two passes for each row across the sod-busting pass.  Both passes were at the final depth with the second mixing the sod up finer.  Robyn helped with the second pass.


Just as we finished 'tilling, a gully washer came.  It only took a couple hours the next morning to get the rest of the plants and seeds that we had on hand into the ground.


One final task remained for the outside for the weekend.  While 'tilling up the garden, I dug up about a 1' foot square chest wrapped in a garbage bag.  While I didn't think it was the time capsule that George Iverson had told me about because there were no plastic garbage bags back in 1958, I did think I had found another capsule.



The rototiller tore it up pretty good.  But I called Robyn over as I excitedly removed everything from the box.  It was all wet; the garbage bag hadn't ensured water-tightness.  Slowly, I unwrapped a red slipper, a bracelet, some charms for a bracelet, a color photograph of a young girl, a paper cross and some beads.

Inside the chest was another little plastic box.  I opened it last.

And as I did, Robyn went, "Ewwww!!!" 


Wrapped in a terrycloth sleeve with some dried flowers was a dead parakeet.

I re-buried everything in a corner of the yard where it wasn't likely to be disturbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment