Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The kitchen war continues... Eagles Nest and Evening Battles

One of the great things about where we live is the proximity to downtown St. Paul (less than 2 miles) and the diversity of our community... not just the people but also the wildlife.

This morning on my way to work I saw a couple of turkey hens casually foraging alongside Pacific Avenue just down the street from our house.


Robyn was driving a bit behind me and didn't even see them... She was probably so focused on why I had pulled to the side of the road.

And it's not just turkeys in the neighborhood.  Back on New Year's Eve, the St. Paul police should a black bear only a couple of hundred yards further from our house than these turkeys were.

The most recent news has been the return of the nesting pair of bald eagles to the Indian Mounds Park and a story was featured on the local Fox News station.  I also found a video of the eagles on youtube from 2011 which was posted by laurierose28 from Callaway Photography.  The video includes photos of an eaglet.

*************

We have a long road to finish up the kitchen so it's fairly important that a get a bit done whenever I have a bit of time I need to get some work down... even if it is only for an hour or so.

Yesterday, I covered up the main distribution trunk from the HVAC system.


You can see the sheetrock on the right side of this picture (I forgot to take one of just that portion.)

I also hate that we only have one working light switch for the kitchen... right in the middle of this room.  I decided it would be nice to put some track or recessed lighting in the soffit box I'm building for the kitchen ductwork.

The above junction box isn't currently in use and will ultimately be behind the pantry that is currently on the other side of the room.  Using a spade bit, I made a channel to run electric wire to a light switch...


Which will be around the corner.  It was a bit of a challenge because there was a stud about two inches further in after I drilled through the wall.  Even with a long spade bit, I couldn't make it through and I had to widen the hole so part of the body of my drill would fit in the hole


Too bad that it was only later that the stud was cut off only about 3/4 of an inch above where I was drilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment