Thursday, April 21, 2016

Gas????

Robyn just loves to go to vintage and thrift stores.  Last summer, we found an art deco style light fixture at the Your Turn vintage store down on lower East 7th Street close to downtown St. Paul. (Unfortunately, it has since closed.)

We had an Ikea POS light up.  It looked okay but you could tell it was cheap.  (and I forgot to take a before picture.)

Since we were already into early April, getting the vintage light up was definitely on Robyn's list of things to get down before the home tour.  Once I got the old light down, I was reminded about the gas line that was there.


In the kitchen, I just cut the old gas line down flush with the ceiling when I put a new fixture in.  But this line was capped and I decided discretion was the better part of valor and decided to leave the line be.

That meant that I needed an alternative.  I had already planned on retrofitting an electric box but I was planning on recessing it.  Because of the gas line, I needed to have the box extend past the line.

Let's just say it was a bit frustrating to get everything situated so the hardware was secure enough to hang the light and also fit around the gas line.


Three trips to Home Depot, a bit of cursing, and 4 hours later, the light fixture was in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment