Sunday, May 1, 2011

Expedition Ikea

Friday, Robyn was in continuing education classes all day at the Rivercentre in St. Paul.  She got back to the apartment just as I was wrapping up my walk with Copper and I was headed over to the manager's office to discuss our rent bill for the month.  The bill had come in for the full month and our lease was up on the 27th so there was a small overbilling.

However, this provided me an opportunity to discuss something with the manager Robyn and I had talked about earlier in the week.  Since the 27th fell on the Friday before Memorial Day, we wanted to extend our lease through at least Monday.  This gave us another weekend to work on the house.  I figured since it was a holiday weekend and our lease was up on Friday and it was unlikely they would be able to get anyone in to inspect and paint the apartment over the weekend, the manager would be receptive.  He was.

As soon as my discussion with the manager was done, Robyn and I headed to Ikea to check out the kitchen cabinets.  On an earlier visit, we had seen a model kitchen with a design similar to the kitchen in our house so we wanted to price the cabinets.  I figured it they were within a $100 of what I had priced at Lowe's and Home Depot the Ikea cabinets would be a viable option as I was going to have to paint the other ones.  They weren't; just 2 cabinets were $100 more than the 4 comparable cabinets I had priced out at Lowe's and Home Depot.  C'est la vie.

However, we didn't go away empty-handed.  Robyn picked up the painting she had identified for the blackberry bedroom.  I got this cool tubing cutter that is designed to cut tubing in confined spaces.  We also purchased track lighting for the kitchen.

The lighting is 11 foot long with 5 halogen bulbs.  The track is flexible and has the additional benefit of being a green product.

Friday evening, we had to go to a birthday party so my trip to Home Depot Saturday morning wasn't until 9:15.  When I walked in, the same manager who had helped me Wednesday was there.  She looked at me in surprise thinking I'd had a problem with the delivery.  I said, "Nope, the delivery folks hadn't called yet. I'm just here to pick up the toilet that was special ordered and a gallon of white paint for the closet."

Forty-five minutes later as Robyn and I were driving to the house, the call came in to Robyn.  The driver said, "I'll be there in 30 to 45 minutes."  Robyn said, "Perfect."

About the only thing not perfect was the weather; a heavy drizzle.  The washer, dryer, dishwasher, stove and refrigerator were on 3 pallets.  Ivie (sorry if I misspelled the name), the driver, parked his semi out in front of the house and brought the appliances by forklift around to the garage in the back.  Thank goodness because the stairs at the front of the house are about 7 foot higher than street level.  I'm also glad the city inspector had complained about the garage being opened; I had secured it 4 or 5 weeks ago as a result.


Ivie was a great guy.  From North Carolina, near Raleigh, originally, he was personable as only a true southerner is.

Saturday, we saw the fruits of a lot of the work we had done before.  I finished building the box around the ductwork in the living room.  Robyn even helped hang sheetrock for the first time in her life.


I painted the ceiling of what will be our bedroom.  As I was finishing up building the ductwork box, Robyn painted the walls; I came back upstairs and did the edging at the top of the walls.  Here are the results after one coat:



As soon as the second coat is done, we'll be ready to put the laminate down in the room.

Back down stairs to the sheetrock which we weren't able to finish because my cordless drill ran out of juice... but we're getting closer.


But it isn't like we don't have a bunch of other stuff to do... Like the chandelier for the dining room:


Gonna be fun to put all the crystals on it... Right Robyn???

No comments:

Post a Comment