Thursday, April 28, 2011

For Deliver, Press "4"

Yesterday was a bit of a frustrating day.  Appliances were supposed to be delivered.  However, when Wednesday morning rolled around, Home Depot had yet to schedule a time. 


Yeah, Robyn and I had both missed a call from Home Depot on Tuesday but no message was left.  When we tried to return the call, we got stuck in “auto-attendant” hell without any way to break free.  The calls went something like this…


“Thank you for calling the… Home Depot.
  • “For Store Hours and directions, press 1.
  • “If you know the 3-digit extension of the person you are trying to reach, press 2.
  • “To speak to an associate in one of our departments, press 3
  • “If you are calling about an installation, special order, or delivery, press 4
Pressing “4” then brings you to this menu tree…
  • “For water heater installation, press 1.
  • “For heating and air condition installations,  press 2.
  • “For other installations or special orders, press 3.
  • “For deliveries, press 4.
  • “To repeat these options, press 9.
  • “To return to the main menu, press #

Pressing “4” then brings you to this menu which said to press “1” that brought you all the way back to the first menu.


Jeez….  At least when I tried it again today, it had been fixed.


So Wednesday morning, Robyn and I both headed off to work with a contingency plan that if they called again we would set a time I could be there which was 10:30 am as I was in a meeting in the bowels of a building in St. Paul where there was no cell phone service.


When I finished up my meeting around 10:00, I had a text message waiting from Robyn saying, “The delivery people from Home Depot are there.  They said they could come back at 10:30 am.”


I’m thinking, “Great, I can be there in 5 minutes.  Even if they’re late, this will take an hour at most.”


Wrong!!!


11:00 am came and went… no delivery
12:00 noon came and went… no delivery and waiting in the wintry mix had gotten old.
Robyn gave me the contact number which I called.  I asked the dispatcher, “Where’s my delivery? You said you would be here at 10:30!”  He said he’d call the driver who called me back.
 
I asked the driver, “Where are you?” 


His response was, “You weren’t there. So I called Home Depot and they told me to bring the stuff back to the store.”


I’m like, “What???? You told us you would be here at 10:30.  Why would you take the stuff back?”


He said, “That’s what Home Depot said to do.”


I asked, “Why would you do that? You couldn’t even call?”


He said, “We called and told you we would be there between 8:00 am and noon.”


I said, “We never had contact with anyone who told us what time the delivery would be.  If we had, we would have been here.”


He said, “We called and told you we would be here.”


I ended the call by expressing my displeasure and opinion about his competence in as restrained colorful manner as my anger would allow.


…and then I drove to the Home Depot where we purchased the appliances and spoke to the store manager.


The manager was quite apologetic and very helpful with rescheduling the delivery and promised her personal attention.  She also made a small adjustment for our inconvenience.

No comments:

Post a Comment