Sunday, April 10, 2011

Weekend 3 - Filling stuff in

Slowly and surely we are starting to see progress.  This week saw the completion of the HVAC installation and the water heater installation.

Also, this weekend, Robyn finished up cleaning the paint off baseboards and molding in the dining room, living room, entranceway and front bedroom.  After spending most of 2 weekends working in the dining room, she flew through the living room, entranceway and front bedroom.  This leaves only the middle bedroom, the back bedroom and the upstairs hallway for removal of paint overspills on the molding.  Every once in a while, I pass the paint gun over the door molding in the kitchen and peel a bit of that old paint off.

My job this weekend was to start boxing in the ductwork.  It's slow going.  I had to build two boxes around the upstairs air return in the living room because of the proximity of that ductwork to the first floor air return.  There wasn't room for the frame, sheetrock, and molding before the edge of the air return register was encountered.

See what I mean...


Here's the box framing for the dining room side.  We took it all the way to the edge of the doorway so it would match the other side of the wall in the dining room where the chimney goes up.


After I finishing building the box on the left, I said to Robyn, "I think a built in bookcase would look good there."  (There's about 21" of usable space.)  Guess where no sheetrock is going and what one of my first projects will be.  Yep... a built in bookcase.

After I replace the door handle on the storm door on the front 3 season porch, I started on these old radiator piping holes.


After all the ductwork was run, I was only left with 3 sets that had to be filled in the ceilings and walls.  They ranged from 4 1/2 to 9 inches deep and 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches deep. I'd been mulling over options trying to figure out the best (and easiest way) to plug the holes and this is what I came up with.

I purchased some metal window screen material and cut off a strip 9 inches wide.  Then I used a bit of high school geometry (circumference equals diameter time pi) to determine how long a strip needed to be to make a cylinder to insert up in the hole.  So basically, a hole that was 2 inches in diameter need a strip of wire screen about 6.28 inches long.  I then took the strips, rolled them into a tube and stapled them together.  Here's what the two for these holes look like...


My idea was to use a can of that aerosol spray insulating foam that expands.  It would expand after I sprayed it up into the cylinder and the expansion through the mesh would hold the cylinder in place but not use up cans and cans of spray foam nor would I have to stuff the hole with newspaper and put multiple layers of spackle 

And the almost final results...


This was just after I finished spraying the foam.  About 30 minutes after I took the picture, the foam had expanded about two inches down below the original hole.  It should cure completely after 12 hours.  After which time, I can trim it a little below the surface and fill the depression with a thin, rather than thick, layer of plaster.

After a long, busy weekend...


Robyn and I went to the 5-8 Club with our friends, Tino and Mary for Juicy Lucy's.  (Well, I had a Juicy Lucy; Robyn had a salad.)

No comments:

Post a Comment