Thursday, April 21, 2011

Itchy... Itchy...

Wednesday while I was waiting for the City of St. Paul inspector to show up to inspect the water heater installation, I took the opportunity to put some fiberglass insulation around the ductwork where it passes through the ceiling and walls.

I will be boxing in all the ductwork with 5/8” sheetrock which is 1 hour burn barrier rated but in the meantime I wanted to add some additional protection by filling the open areas around the ductwork which could be a potential pathway between floors and rooms if there were a fire.

Not really that difficult to do.  A $15 25 foot-long of R19 unback insulation was my raw material.  I just cut off 6” strips to insert around the ductwork wherever it passed between rooms and floors.  Basically a 15 minute job.

I’ve installed insulation before so I know how itchy it can be if it gets in your clothes and on your skin.  For that reason I work long sleeves and gloves.
And wouldn’t you know, it still got on me in a few spots.  Fortunately, the itching is still mild and I’m not scratching like a maniac.

As for the water heater inspection, it passed.  The inspector, Steve Fernlund, was a great guy and gave me some tips on the City of St. Paul inspection process as well as some advice on when a permit is required and when it isn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment