Sunday, April 3, 2011

Even a blind man could have painted better than this...

Copper joined us today out at our old house.




By the end of the day, his head was nodding while he was sitting watching us.  It's hard work being a dog... particularly when there are squirrels in the yard that no one will let you chase.

Robyn said that steel wool is her new best friend as she was scrubbing off paint on the underside of door molding that was almost 8 foot up in the air.  Her next comment was, "Even a blind man would know not to paint the underside of molding!!!"  She finally finished up the dining room today with its 3 windows, 40+ feet of plate shelves and 50+ feet of 8" floor molding.  Together, we are nearly finished with the living room.

I finished up cleaning behind the molding behind the radiators that still had the original finish.  Strip-X did the heavy work.  Then I found a use for that Oops that I wasn't happy with.  It's actually good cleaning the residual stain left from the Strip-X and general grime on the molding.  

Here's a before shot of the molding that was behind the living room radiator.




...and after it's been stripped and cleaned.


I still need to find a stain that will match the remainder of the molding and then put some shiny stuff on it and the rest of the molding after it's been cleaned and we painted the room.  I had similar results with the molding that was in the entranceway and the dining room.

Two things neither Robyn and I understand.  Why are there staples in the molding in the living room?  And why is there scotch tape on nearly every surface.  You can even see where something was taped to the wall...  And not just for a short time... long enough for the surrounding area to fade.

My other project for the day was to start repair some of the holes in the walls and the missing plaster.  I went through a whole 32oz container of spackling paste today and still need more to finish up.  Here's a before shot of the worst area.




To start the repair on this, I cleaned out all of the loose plaster with a screwdriver and then brushed out the smaller particles.  Here's part one of the fix:



I took advantage of the slats that were there for the plaster and pressed the spackling firmly into the openings between the slats and then filled the hole up within 1/8" of the surface.  Next, I cross-hatched to spackling so I will have a surface for the next coat.  This particularly area is about 18 inches long and 4 inches wide at its narrowest and about 8 inches wide at its widest.

There are cracks radiating out for this area.  What I will do next it drill some pilot holes through the plaster into the slat.  I'll then countersink the holes and use a drywall screw with a washer to secure the plaster to the slats.  The holes will be filled with what else... but spackling.  I'm also look for an aerosol product that I can spray over the crack to provide a better paint surface than just using spackling.  I did one crack with spackling but I really wasn't satisfied with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment