Sunday, April 22, 2012

Kitchen War... Disaster?

So Friday afternoon, I get one of those fairly frequent "low memory" messages on my HTC Incredible so I apply my usual fix.... review all of the applications I have installed, delete those I don't use, get rid of history and assorted downloads.  Nothing to it. 

Later that evening, I take a picure of Robyn and then pull up the gallery to show it to her.  THERE WAS ONLY ONE PICTURE IN MY GALLERY!!!.  2200+ pictures I had on my phone had disappeared, including the ones from working on the house. (I use my phone rather than carry around a digital camera because it is more convenient.)

Turned my phone off and then back on.  Still only one picture!

Holy crap!!!

Bit of a freak out but not too much.  I knew I had all but maybe a couple of dozen backed up on a computer somewhere.  Painful, but I was resigned to tracking them down and restoring them to the micro-SD card on my phone.  Or worse case scenario, recovering the deleted files from the card.

Saturday, I hooked my phone to my computer as an external disk drive and drilled into the picture folder.

There they were... All of them!!! Relief.  When I disconnected the phone, I was able to pull them up.  I don't know what happened... must've changed a setting somewhere when I was doing cleanup on the phone memory.

So,  all of y'all who were hoping I wouldn't have all of those pictures to show you time after time... You're S O L !

****************

Right now progress in the kitchen  is coming in fits and starts.  We're still having to do some sanding.  But the walls are finally all done except for some isolated patching.  Now it is just put down a coat of paint.  Wait for it to dry.  Put down another coat.

I finally finished stripping the paint off this door frame.  I'd started with the heat gun the 1st day we owned the house a year ago before we'd decided we were just going to paint it white.


Stripping it actually helped it look better than I expected.


One of these days I'll even get that light installed.

Thursday night, I'd run out of sand paper for the section of the floor I was doing.


Robyn actually went to Home Depot for me to get some on Friday.  We're doing this section first so we can always access at least half of the kitchen, plus the sink, refrigerator and stove.  I think I'll rent a floor sander for the remaining 2/3's of the floor area.  Using the palm sander is hard on my knees and when Robyn says that when I lay on my side stroking the sander back and forth it looks weird.

The hole knocked out the side of the cabinet has been filled and painted.


This is what it originally looked like.


Once the corner of the cabinet was painted, the three coats of porch paint went down on the sanded area.


Fencing is to keep the pets off of the area.

While it was drying between coats, I was getting coats of paint on the shelves, cleats and edge molding out on the porch.


...and after the floor was dry enough to walk on, the first 2 coats of polyurethane was applied to the area of the floor which will be under the refrigerator


It has to cure for a week after the next two coats which can be applied in 24 hours.  I'll apply polyurethane to what will be the exposed area of the kitchen floor in continuous coats rather than sections.

Final work for the weekend was to get a coat of primer on the wall where the pantry had been temporarily.

1 comment:

  1. Colonel,
    I'm glad you got yer pics back. I like seeing the progression the blog. If you have it, you should use a better camera anyhow. My iPhone pics are terrible, and your HTC seems not too good either. But, I love your blog man!

    ReplyDelete