Monday, April 16, 2012

Kitchen War... Trashed

While Robyn and my focus continues to be on the kitchen, we don't solely just work on the kitchen, particularly this past weekend when we were painting.

Saturday morning, we were up bright and early to head out for the city-wide cleanup of St. Paul parks.  But before we got started with that, I took a few minutes to sand the area where the refridgerator is going.

Robyn and I were working in Indian Mounds Park.  When you drive past the parks, you really don't see much trash, an occasional piece of paper or a soda cup.  However, go down some of the pathways and you'll might see something like this:


I don't understand why people feel compelled that they have to throw their trash away in public spaces. The stuff Robyn and I picked up at times was flat disgusting.  Thirty minutes into our work, we had already collected and bagged this much trash.


Including the  two top halves of a kitchen table... REALLY???!!!

After going up and down a trail and cleaning over in some other areas, Robyn and I were exhausted after 90 minutes.  I definitely should have ordered a couple of Reach and Grab tools from Amazon.

Back home, I put a coat of primer on the side of the pantry.  I realized afterwards that...


sanding the floor first was a mistake, because it is flat impossible for me to paint without dripping or spilling it on something as you can see by the above picture.  The stool in the corner of the photo is for my old back and knees so I can sit down while I'm working on those lower areas.

While that was drying, I headed outside.  While Robyn was cutting the grass for the first time this year,


I put together our new compost bin over the next 3 hours.  The compost may not be ready for this year's garden but I should be able to supplement the soil with compost in the fall.

In the middle of the process of putting together the compost bin (which is why it took 3 hours), I went inside and got the first coat of paint on the side of the pantry.


And realized, it really didn't make sense to paint just the side when I'm going to make a big mess anyway.  So off with the doors, which I put on a leftover sheet of beaded board to paint since rain was in the forecast.


In the middle of that black stripe of paint, are the hangers for the front edge of the shelving we will be installing in the kitchen. 


Here's one set out from the paint so you can see what they look like.  I'll be attaching these to the bottom of the ductwork soffit box and screwing 3/8" threaded rod into them to suspend the front edge of the shelving.

Back outside, Robyn finished cutting the grass everywhere except for where I was putting up the compost bin.  I took the 30 seconds need to do that and then looked at the strip across the yard with the still dead grass...

And wondered, if the sidewalk that Bruce Iverson told me about was still there.


Yep... running right through the center of where I was planning on putting the garden.  Guess we'll have a walkway through the middle of the garden now.

Sunday morning we were off for brunch at the Amsterdam where we had the opportunity to listen to a blue grass / folk style group named May North.


But not before another coat of pant on the pantry and the adjacent door molding.


Yeah, I was sloppy over on this side of the pantry as well.  Before I went to bed for the night, I started back touching up the red paint...


...and got the last coat of paint on the inside of the pantry doors. With rain and snow flurries in the forecast, I'm hoping they will dry enough so I can flip them over to paint the other side and edges.

Monday, after work, I need to head over to Home Depot to get a wood screws for the threaded rod handers, reel tape measure, some of that marking spray paint, and stakes to lay out the garden; I already have twine.  If the weather is nice, I'll also pick up the base cabinet which will go between the stove and refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment